10.12.2007

Standing 8-Count

This page is still somewhat shaken from the recent flurry of hate mail and vicious falling outs with family and friends as a result of my position on the Vancouver civic workers strike. As a result, my writing is more than likely going to be shaky as well, but let's stumble around until we find our feet and move on, shall we?

In response to Gary Mason's Globe & Mail column yesterday, I think somebody needs to tell him that 'polarization' isn't some kind of magnetic effect if one drives too far north (or south). The shrieking mock outrage and anti-union diatribes at the end of this strike are no different from the ones which littered open-line shows and letters to the editor at its beginning. It's the same overstimulated chimps throwing their same right-wing crap. As for his assertion about CUPE's political agenda that the union has a political agenda to restore the centre-left to power in Vancouver, it's not borne out by material fact. Vision and COPE councillors voted for the Foley recommendations, Locals 391 and 1004 either voted against or not enough in support to adopt those recommendations.

I think what has seriously pissed me off over the duration of this strike is the number of people who want to argue with me about it, yet are completely gutless about where they really stand. For all of you who try to qualify your hatred of union workers with such ass-covering rhetoric as "I'm not anti-union, but..." or "I'm not really right wing, but..." just say what you really mean or shut up. Why do I prefer Conservatives to Liberals? The Conservatives are bastards, but at least they're up front about it.

Anyway, I may need to warm up for a few days before returning to form, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

anon said...

sorry to hear you`re getting grief from the flat earth society bear! stiff upper lip and all that man! I for one very much look forward to your take on matters political.I need to be reassured that i`m not alone in my absolute disgust at the level of discourse on radio show bully boy bill`s liberal love-in acompanied by those two connoisseurs of campbells bathwater vp,kb. don`t these thugs ever tire of slagging carol james? Imean after eightbyears of every time the ndp trying to make a point, all we get is a juvenile chorus from these lackey`s of "na-na- na na na fast ferries fast ferries" now we can look forward to "twin the port mann-twin the port mann na-na-na-na-na" ad-nauseum. i feel better already! anon.